The following can be done to set printer defaults on your Mac computer.
- Open Safari or Firefox
- Go to http://localhost:631/printers
- Click the printer you wish to change
- Pull down the Administration menu and select Set Default options
Note: From here, you can access the default settings for the printers. Two of the most common changes involve enabling "black and white" printing by default and turning off banner pages. If your credentials do not allow the changes to be made, contact the ITS Help Desk for assistance.
"Black and White" Printing by Default:
- Change ColorOutput to Black and White
- Change XRColorOutput to PrintAsGrayscale
Banner settings can be found under Advanced:
- Banner Sheet to Off
Options will vary depending on the specific driver and printer in use. Examples below:
Example 1 (Xerox Workcentre7120 or Xerox Workcentre 7855)
|1) Visit localhost:631/printers|
|2) From the drop-down menu, select "Set Default Options"|
|3) Select "Color Options"|
4.) From the Color Correction, select "Black and White"
5) From the XROutputColor, select "Grayscale"
6) Then select "Set Default Options"
|7) Type in your username and password to finish|