On campus printing is managed through several printer servers (ADMINPRT, ACADPRT, RUBEL, etc) and tied to Active Directory. To enable printing on a mac, one must manually:
- Be sure that your Macintosh is bound to Active Directory properly. If you do not use your canisius username and password to log in, contact the ITS Help Desk before proceeding.
- Check your Operating System.... if you are running MacOS 10.8.x or higher, please proceed. Otherwise call the ITS Help Desk for assistance.
- Make sure that the proper drivers are installed for the model of printer you wish to configure
- Use System Preferences to configure the printer that you want to set up
- Optional: set black and white printing as the default instead of color (recommended for certain printers)
Step 1: Make sure the proper drivers are installed
- For the Xerox printers, use this link to download and install all Xerox drivers for the desired printer.
- For Hewlett-Packard (HP) printers, visit this Apple knowledge base article for drivers.
Step 2: Find the queue name and printer server for the desired printer
- Go to http://www2.canisius.edu/canhp/canits/printers/ to browse for printers by departments.
- Click on the appropriate department (ex. Accounting) and select the appropriate printer [ex. Que Name: CT415-XRWC5735(ps-20120)].
- For the Queue Name: highlight and copy the entire queue name. See example on right.
- The full name includes the location, model, and brief name of the printer.
- For the Printer Server, locate Primary Server. See example on right.
Step 3: Use System Preferences to setup the desired printer
- On the Mac, open up System Preferences.
- Select Print & Scan.
- Click on the '+' to add a new printer (see image to right)
- Note: You may have to unlock the preferences by clicking the padlock in the lower left and entering user credentials.
- On the Add Printer page, select the "Default" tab.
- You may need to wait a short period but a list of printers will populate the window that is sorted by the print server names. ACADPRT - Academic departmental printers, ADMINPRT - Administrative departmental printers and RUBEL - Lab and public space printers. The server name is followed by the printers location description and finally the printer model and CCID number.
- You will need to find your printer in the list and click on it. Either scroll thru the list to find your printer or search for it using the search box in the upper right.
- Select the Use: pull down menu to identify the driver to be used. You will need to search for the manufacutrer and model of printer. If your driver is not listed, refer to instructions above and install the correct printer driver.
- Click the Add button in the lower right.
- Your printer shouold now appear in the list of available printers in the Print & Scan Preferences window
Step 4: Verify that it works & Set printing default
- Send a test page to confirm that it works.
- If it prompts for the username and password, enter your Canisius username and password, and be sure to save the credentials.
Note: If it does not accept the user's credentials, contact Alan Weitsacker in ITS to verify that user has been given rights to that printer.
- If it is a color printer (ex. XRWC7120), configure black and white printing as the default. You can find those directions here.